LATEST NEWS

[News%20Update][bleft]

Newspapers Review

[Newspapers%20Review][bsummary]

POLITICS

[politics][grids]

Ohaneze Ndigbo

[Ohaneze%20Ndi%20Igbo][bsummary]

SPORTS HEADLINES

[Sports][bleft]

NAIJA NEWSPAPERS: TODAY'S THE TRIBUNE NEWSPAPER HEADLINES [8TH FEBRUARY, 2018].


Below are the headlines found on The Tribune Online Newspaper for today, Thursday,  8th February, 2017.

Thu, 08 Feb 2018
Mr Kazeem Afegbua, spokesman to the former military president, General Ibrahim Babangida, declared wanted by the Police, on Wednesday, stormed the Force Headquarters in Abuja, in a style with a team of lawyers and some of his family members.

Afegbua, who arrived the Lious Edet Force Headquarters’ House around 10:32 a.m. in the company of a team of lawyers from Barrister Kayode Ajulo’s Castle of Law Firms, told newsmen that he was not a fugitive which was the reason he decided to show up.
Afegbua was declared wanted by the police over a statement he issued on behalf of his principal, General Ibrahim Babangida, on Sunday.
Afegbua and his team on their arrival could not meet with the Commissioner of Police in Charge of Legal of the Force, Mr David Ibogbodo, who was said to have gone to court on an official assignment.
Consequently, Afegbua waited for almost two hours and when the CP legal eventually arrived, he was reportedly joined by ‎ the Deputy Commissioner of Police in charge of the Inspector General of Police (IGP) monitoring Team, who, together with him attended to Afegbua in a relaxed atmosphere.
ALSO READ: Statement on Buhari: IGP declares IBB’s spokesman wanted
It was gathered that at the meeting ‎which lasted about 15 minutes, Afegbua did not write any statement as expected, rather, the two officers reportedly apologised for declaring him wanted in the first instance and that it was a mixed up.
A source said that the two senior officers made it clear to Afegbua that he was not under arrest and that if the police had been able to get him on the phone to speak with him, the whole matter would not have been complicated as it turned out to be.
Earlier, Afegbua had spoken with newsmen where he registered his displeasure with the action of the police for declaring him wanted without extending an invitation letter to him and said that his ‎legal team was already handling the matter.

Afegbua with his family members and friends at the Police Force headquarters in Abuja, on Wednesday, February 7, 2018.

 
Afegbua, who stated that he was still at loss as to how the police arrived at a decision to declare him a wanted man when he was very much around, disclosed that it was ‎even his boss, General Babangida that called his attention to the police’s statement which declared him wanted and he demanded if he was a criminal.

According to him: “It will even interest you to know that when I was declared wanted on Channels TV and Nigerian Television Authority, (NTA), my boss, IBB, was the one who called me and said ‘why are they declaring you wanted?  Are you a criminal?’ And we laughed about it.
“My boss also asked if I was on the run and if I have been given an invitation and he said, okay, that is interesting. Who is complaining? He said he heard on the news that they talked about defamation of character, he said whose character have you defamed? So, I am very much in touch with him and I am not doing anything out of the blues.  He is a man I have been with for the past fourteen years as his spokesman,  even when I went to serve in my state, I was still very much in touch with him.
ALSO READ: IBB statement not personalised to Buhari ―Spokesperson
“I have said it before that I am part and parcel of him, we are family and so I don’t have any cause to worry about anything
“I am only here personally because I was declared wanted. I am not on the run, I am not a fugitive, as a responsible Nigerian, I feel it was unwise on the part of the police to declare me wanted when I have not been formally invited. So, I am here to present myself. I am here with my family members and my lawyer.
Speaking on the insinuation that the second statement was sent by a family member, and why IBB is yet to speak on it, Afegbua said: “If the President has spoken to Thisday newspaper to confirm the veracity of the statement I issued on his behalf, the other letter wouldn’t be an issue because essentially, that statement as far as I am concerned did not speak for IBB, and General Babangida by the special grace of God was a former President and his title is GCFR and not GCON. So, to me, the purported rebuttal is unnecessary.
On the N1billion suit he slammed on the Police, Afegbua said: “The laws of the land are very clear. When you declared somebody who is not a criminal or a fugitive wanted, you have not tried to arrest him, and he evaded arrest, it is understandable why I will have to extract my own commitment by way of asking the law court to enforce my right because I have a right under the constitution of Nigeria, 1999 as amended to freedom of association, freedom of speech and dignity and even if anything warrants one being declared wanted, it shouldn’t be in that manner.
“Because I am a media person, there is no complicity, I have withdrawn that of NTA and Channels TV this morning (Wednesday) at the Federal High Court. So, I am suing the IGP and the police for infringing on my rights, demeaning my person and maligning my reputation.
When asked if he would withdraw the suit if the police apologises, he said: that is secondary, when we get there, we will know.
After his few minutes with the two senior police officers, Afegbua disclosed that the session was cordially and devoided of any harassment, intimidation or ill feelings and that he did not write any statement when he was with them as envisaged in such a situation.
According to him, “the meeting was very brief and they told me that I was not under arrest, that there was a communication break down or a wanted man, that the issue at stake would have been trashed out on the phone if they have ‎gotten me, they apologised and I left the place.”

Thu, 08 Feb 2018
THE National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP Prince Uche Secondus declared that Nigeria as a Nation was going through what they never bargained for in All Progressives Congress APC, administration with its nuclear nepotism form of government.


 
Secondus who stated this ‎ at the Party’s National Assembly caucus meeting in Abuja on Tuesday counsel that all hands must be on deck to save the country from APC administration that had become a monumental disaster.

ALSO READ: How Secondus won PDP’s chairmanship

According to a statement made available to newsmen in Abuja yesterday by his Media Adviser, Ike Abonyi, Prince Secondus who led other members of the National Working Committee NWC of the party to the National Assembly said they came to rub minds and see how “we can save this country”.

“I have come with members of the NWC of our party to thank you for the mandate you gave us at the successful National Convention last year and to charge you to redouble your efforts for the eventual humiliation of APC in 2019

“National Assembly is the centre of national politics, Nigeria is sitting on a keg of gunpowder waiting to explode, only the PDP can save it”

Secondus lamented that Nigerians have seen what they never bargained for in the last 32 months of APC administration, said. “People are being killed on daily basis, nuclear nepotism is in vogue, you have to come from Daura to be appointed to a federal position”.

According to him,”this is the time for all to stand up to save this country and all eyes are on PDP to lead the way, I am ready and determined even to be arrested for us to regain our liberty in this land.

Thu, 08 Feb 2018
Tsaragi and Bacita towns are two communities in the Edu Local Government Area of Kwara State. The people of the area, who are of Nupe stock, are predominantly farmers in corn, millet, sorghum, soya beans, rice, and animal husbandry, among others. In fact, before the nation’s economic downturn, Bacita used to have sugar and paper factories where many Nigerians of different tribes were gainfully employed with attendant boom in complementary businesses in the area.


 
In August 2017, two major bridges, constructed some 12 years ago, linking the two towns collapsed and the rubble washed away by erosion occasioned by heavy rainfall.

Community leaders in the affected towns stated that they had written official letters through their emirs to the local, state and the federal governments on their plight, but continued to wait for response from concerned authorities to ameliorate their daily sufferings occasioned by the collapse of their bridges.

As a temporary measure, residents constructed makeshift bridges with logs of wood covered with sand and another with planks of wood. On the authority of the communities, some youths daily collect toll of N500 on each vehicle and N100 on motorcycles who use the makeshift bridge. However, the toll for vehicle got reduced to N200 in the dry season.

A community leader in Pandaragi village where the first collapsed bridge was located, Mohammed Kudu Haruna, confirmed that the construction of the Tsaragi-Bacita road and bridges was facilitated by a member of the House of Representatives in the area, Hon. Yahaya Bulldozer about 12 years ago. Haruna, who said that the Pandaragi bridge collapsed last year due to an erosion. He added that the community had informed the Emir of Tsaragi, Alhaji Abdullahi Kpotua, whom he said contacted Edu local government, state government and the federal government on the matter. “Since then, we are yet to get a response. This wood work here was through communal effort. The emir also supported us with money to finance the construction of the makeshift bridge. Even as it is, there have been accidents on the bridge.

“We are afraid that when the rainy season commences, the logs of wood used in the construction of the bridge could get washed away. We want the government to quickly come and find solution to it because the reconstruction is beyond the capacity of either of the communities or the local government. For the state government, please, let’s just cover our mouth from saying anything. They can’t do anything.

“We are farmers. The bad condition of the bridges is really disturbing our farming business and other socioeconomic activities. We could not transport our produce to Tsaragi or Gbugbu markets not until we came up with this. And for God’s sake this is not really the solution that is needed here”, he said.

Also speaking, another community leader at Eminpa village, where the second collapsed bridge was located, Mallam Audu Baba, said that the collapse of the Eminpa Bridge happened a week after that of Pandaragi occurred in August 2017. He also said all the communication made by the community to the concerned authorities on the failed bridge had not yielded any response.

BREAKING: Fulani herdsmen kill SARS boss in Oyo
Thu, 08 Feb 2018
The officer in charge of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS), Saki unit, in Oyo State Police Command, an Assistant Superintendent of Police, was, on Tuesday night, macheted to death by Fulani herdsmen during an operation [...]The post BREAKING: Fulani herdsmen kill SARS boss in Oyo appeared first on Tribune. 

Thu, 08 Feb 2018
Senator John Kojo Brambaifa was in the fifth and sixth Senate from Bayelsa State. He was one of the rallying points in the politics of the Senate of his era when he served as Chairman, [...]The post Nigeria is a complicated country 'Senator Brambaifa appeared first on Tribune. 

Thu, 08 Feb 2018
A former official of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in Kwara, Christian Nwosu, who is standing trial over alleged N30 million bribe to rig the 2015 polls, was on Wednesday in Lagos re-arrested by [...]The post EFCC rearrests INEC official over Diezani's alleged N30m bribe to rig 2015 polls appeared first on Tribune. 

Thu, 08 Feb 2018
The Senate on Wednesday rejected the report of its Joint Committee on Police Affairs and National Security and Intelligence on the Jan. 1, 2018 killings in Benue. It said that the report failed to capture [...]The post Senate rejects committees report on Benue killings appeared first on Tribune. 

Thu, 08 Feb 2018
The Ogun and Oyo state police commands have dispelled the rumouredherdsmen attacks on Lagos/Ibadan expressway, describing it as fake and the handiwork of mischief makers aimed at causing disaffection among peace-loving Nigerians. The image-makers of [...]The post No Fulani herdsmen attack on Lagos-Ibadan Expressway 'Police appeared first on Tribune. 

Thu, 08 Feb 2018
US Senate negotiators rushed on Wednesday to forge a two-year budget plan that would ease Washington's spending brinkmanship, even as President Donald Trump backed a government shutdown if it does not include his demands on [...]The post Senate rushes to clinch budget deal to avert government shutdown appeared first on Tribune. 

Thu, 08 Feb 2018
Angela Merkels conservatives (CDU/CSU) have finally hashed out a coalition deal with the center-left Social Democrats (SPD) that could break months of political deadlock in Germany. Negotiators have agreed on the division of key ministries [...]The post Germany coalition talks: Merkels conservatives and SPD clinch deal appeared first on Tribune. 

Thu, 08 Feb 2018
Rescuers combed through the rubble of collapsed buildings on Wednesday, in a search for 67 people missing after a strong earthquake which killed at least seven near Taiwan's popular tourist city of Hualien. The magnitude [...]The post At least seven killed, 67 missing after quake rocks Taiwan tourist area appeared first on Tribune. 

Thu, 08 Feb 2018
The Nigerian Ports Authority (NPA) has disclosed that it generated the sum of N299.56bn as revenue for the year 2017. According to a statement signedon Tuesdayby the agency's General Manager, Corporate and Strategic Communications, Abdullahi [...]The post NPA generates N299.56bn revenue in 2017 appeared first on Tribune. 

No comments: