NIGERIA NEWSPAPERS: Today’s Thisday Newspaper Headlines [10 May, 2018].

Read All Newspapers in one Place - Download our App for free. DOWNLOAD


Below are the headlines found on The Thisday Online Newspaper for today, Thursdays, 10 May, 2018.

Thu, 10 May 2018
With the All Progressives Congress (APC) yet to overcome the internal wrangling that characterised most of its ward congresses and its botched governorship primary in Ekiti State, more trouble appears to be looming for the ruling party, as members of the defunct “New PDP” who defected to the APC from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in 2013, have written a petition complaining about the alleged maltreatment of its members by the APC-led administration.
Although the group denied that the petition was a sign that they were planning to leave the APC, political observers said Wednesday that it was a signpost that several of the New PDP members were considering their options, including defecting from the ruling party ahead of the 2019 elections.
Members of the New PDP included former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar who has gone back to the PDP, Senate President Bukola Saraki, Sokoto Governor Aminu Tambuwal who was the Speaker of the House of Representatives when the defection took place, five sitting governors of Sokoto (Aliyu Wammako), Kano (Rabiu Kwankwaso), Kwara (Abdulfatah Ahmed), Adamawa (Bala James Ngilari) and Rivers States (Rotimi Amaechi) at the time, and former governors of Kebbi (Usman Dakingari), Gombe (Danjuma Goje), Osun States (Olagunsoye Oyinlola).
Other major defectors included Abubakar Kawu Baraje, many serving members of the National Assembly, several politicians and PDP elders.
The group, which left the PDP during the height of the crisis in the then ruling party to fuse with the APC coalition in 2013, is now accusing the ruling party and its administration of marginalising and maltreating their members, despite their contributions towards bringing the APC to power in the 2015 elections.
Specifically, they are complaining of being treated as outsiders in a party they helped to build and sustain.

BUY OR SELL OLD AND NEW CARS, PARTS, CAR MATERIALS AS CAR MART NG LAUNCH IN NIGERIA

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});

The group lamented that while some of their members were denied security cover to visit their constituencies, others were being prosecuted and had been subjected to a witch-hunt by agents of the government.
The New PDP members led by a former national chairman of the PDP faction, Baraje, in the petition submitted Wedneday to the APC, also issued a seven-day ultimatum to the leadership of the APC to arrange a meeting with the leader of the party and the party executives to find lasting solution to the issues raised.
In a four-page letter dated April 27, 2018 and signed by Baraje and Oyinlola and addressed to the national chairman of the APC, they alleged that despite their contributions to the success of the ruling party, their members have been relegated to the background in the scheme of things in the party and in government.
Pointedly referring to Amaechi, the group said the only seat that went to members of the New PDP in the Federal Executive Council (FEC) was given to a member whose state contributed “virtually no vote” to the APC in the 2015 presidential election.
The letter read: “We the members of the APC who moved over from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) to form the APC before the 2015 general election in Nigeria are desirous of strengthening our party especially now that new party congresses have commenced and the convention and another general election are imminent. Obviously, this cannot be achieved without addressing fundamental issues, which we wish to raise in the letter.
Thu, 10 May 2018
The Federal Executive Council (FEC) rose from its weekly meeting in Abuja wednesday with a resolution mandating the Ministry of Health to beef up surveillance and screening of passengers at the country’s land borders and airports with a view to averting the return of Ebola into the country.
Briefing journalists at the end of the meeting presided over by Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo, the Minister of Health, Prof. Isaac Adewole, said blood samples taken from five patients in DR Congo confirmed that two of the five patients had been infected with Ebola.
According to him, the council resolved to set up Emergency Operation Centre to be chaired by one Babasanya whom he said led the Nigerian efforts in Liberia, Guinea and Sierra Leone against the outbreak of the disease in 2014.

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});

Read All Newspapers in one Place - Download our App for free. DOWNLOAD

The minister also said not only would the government ensure the screening of passengers coming into the country especially those from DR Congo, Nigerian Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) would also consider sending a team to DR Congo in its quest for capacity building with a view to ensuring effective management of the situation.
He promised that the government would also ensure that the country was well protected from the outbreak.
The minister also said following the content of the report presented to the council by the Ministry of Health on Lassa Fever, the council had resolved to lift the emergency earlier declared on Lassa Fever in the country.
He also said negotiations on the strike embarked upon by the Joint Health Staff Union (JOHESU) would be concluded soon.
“We presented an update on the state of public health in Nigeria at the FEC meeting. We reported on the situation with Lassa Fever and resolved that we are declaring the emergency phase of Lassa Fever outbreak over. Essentially, that implies that the emergency operating centres would be stood down but that instead of meeting everyday throughout the country, they will now meet once a week. They will still continue surveillance so that if there are cases anywhere in the country, we can quickly dictate it and treat it appropriately.
“Of course, of great concern to the Federal Exceutive Council is the outbreak of Ebola in DR Congo. As you might be aware, over the last one month, DRC recorded 19 suspected cases of viral hemorrhagic fever and lost 16 of the cases. But what is also particularly important was that last Monday, blood samples from five patients in the DRC, particularly in a particular district in DRC, in two of the five cases, Ebola was actually confirmed. And, FEC has now directed the Federal Ministry of Health to step up emergency surveillance activities at all land and airport borders, so that we can actually keep Nigerians safe.
“What we will do is to set up an emergency operation centre which will be chaired by Dr. Babasanya, who actually led our efforts in Liberia and Sierra Leone and Guinea during the outbreak in 2014. Not only that, we will also be screening incoming passengers, particularly passengers from DRC and neigbouring countries. We will also ensure we step up all activities screening people coming in so that we will not be caught unawares.

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});

“Nigerian Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) will also consider sending some team to DRC as part of building capacity for managing the outbreak. We want to assure Nigerians that the federal government is concerned about the outbreak and will do everything possible to keep the country safe.
“Negotiations are still on with JOHESU and the Minister of Labour is leading the negotiation as we expect that we will conclude on all issues very soon,” he stated.
In his briefing, the Minister of State for Education, Prof. Anthony Anwuka, said FEC resolved yesterday to investigate the discovery that federal universities collect tuition fees contrary to the laws setting them up.
According to him, the council would ensure that such practice is brought to a close, pointing out that whereas the federal government does not determine tuition fees for state and private universities, the federal universities have no right to impose tuition on students, adding that FEC approved the advent of Skyline University, Kano.
Thu, 10 May 2018
MTN Group has admitted that efforts to repatriate $237.15 million (about 200 million euros) from its Iranian unit, MTN Irancell, will become tougher after U.S. President Donald Trump on Tuesday announced his country’s decision to withdraw from the Iran nuclear deal, and reinstated economic sanctions on the Islamic republic and companies doing business in the country.
This is just as MTN informed THISDAY via email Wednesday that the U.S. imposed sanctions on Iran and companies doing business in the country would not impact its reported earnings for 2018, nor will it affect its planned IPOs in Nigeria and Ghana.
Africa’s biggest wireless carrier had more than $1 billion stuck in Iran due to U.S.-led sanctions that ended following a landmark agreement in 2015.

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});

Since that accord, the Johannesburg-based telecoms company has been steadily withdrawing the funds.
However, there were fears that Trump’s announcement on Tuesday would again limit MTN’s capacity to repatriate loans and dividends from Iran, its second biggest market with 43 million subscribers after Nigeria. It has operated in the country since 2005.
Addressing the issue Wednesday, MTN said it remained committed to its investment in Irancell and to repatriating the balance of legacy cash in Iran while remaining compliant with appropriate legislation.
According to a statement sent to THISDAY by MTN from Johannesburg, “On 8 May 2018 the U.S. announced its decision to withdraw from the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) agreement and to re-impose economic sanctions against Iran.
“These sanctions may limit the ability of MTN Group to repatriate cash, both dividends and loans, from MTN Irancell. We will continue to monitor the situation including the response of the Iranian authorities and the other JCPOA members.
“During 2018 MTN Group has repatriated approximately €88 million from MTN Irancell including €61 million relating to the full 2017 dividend due to MTN as well as a further €27 million of historic dividends. The remaining balance due to MTN is approximately IRR10,000bn (approximately €200 million).”
MTN shares fell as much as four per cent Wednesday on the JSE, the most in more than a month, on concerns that cash would be stuck in Iran. The shares recovered to trade 2.7 per cent lower at 121.55 rand as of 9.48 a.m. in Johannesburg, according to Bloomberg.
In response to THISDAY’s enquiries, the mobile network operator also allayed concerns that the reinstated sanctions would affect its reported earnings for the year.
It also said the sanctions would not affect its planned IPOs in Nigeria and Ghana.
MTN had agreed to list its local subsidiary on the Nigerian bourse after a deal was struck with the federal government on the reduction of a $5 billion fine imposed on the company in 2015 after it failed to disconnect 5 million unregistered SIMs on its network.
Thu, 10 May 2018
Nigeria’s foremost entrepreneur and Africa’s richest man, Aliko Dangote, has been ranked among 75 most powerful persons on the planet, ahead of the Vice-President of the United States of America, Mike Pence.
According to Forbe magazine’s latest 2018 ranking of the World’s Most Powerful People, Dangote ranked among world leaders like Xi Jinping, the Chinese President, Vladimir Putin, the Russian President and Donald Trump, President of the U.S., who were ranked first, second and third respectively.
Dangote was ranked the 66th most powerful person in the world ahead of Mike Pence, the U.S. vice-president who came in 67th place and Qamar Javed Bajwa, the highly influential Chief of Army Staff of Pakistan who was ranked 68th.
Dangote was the only Nigerian on the list and one of only two Africans who made the list, with the other being the Egyptian President, Abdel Fattah el-Sisi, who was ranked the 45th most powerful person in the world.

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});

Dangote is the only black man who has made the list apart from former U.S. President Barack Obama in the 2016 ranking released in 2017 and was listed in the 71st place just above the then American presidential contender, Donald Trump, who was listed at number 72.
Dangote is the Chairman of the Dangote Cement which produces 44 million metric tonnes of cement annually across the African continent and still plans to expand and increase its output by 33 per cent by 2020.
According to the Forbe’s Rich List, Dangote as of March 2018, had an estimated net worth of $14.1 billion and was ranked among the 100 richest persons in the world and the richest in Africa, a position he has held for almost a decade.
Dangote reached a peak on the rich list in 2014 when he was ranked the 23rd richest person in the world and in 2013 surpassed the Saudi-Ethiopian billionaire Mohammed Hussein Al Amoudi by over $2.6 billion to become the world’s richest person of African descent.
Dangote, who is also the President of the Dangote Group of Companies, has often made such lists due to his business concerns and humanitarian efforts in Nigeria and other parts of the world, especially his efforts through the Aliko Dangote Foundation to rid Nigeria and Africa of polio, malaria and malnutrition.
His efforts in this regard were recognised by the United Nations, which appointed him Malaria Ambassador.
Dangote stepped up his humanitarian activities recently, spending billions of naira to build hospitals and providing critical hospital equipment, the lack of which has forced Nigerians of means to seek medical attention abroad.
Thu, 10 May 2018
Omololu Ogunmade in Abuja The presidency Wednesday disowned a viral social media post which quoted President Muhammadu Buhari as condemning former presidents of the country for flying exclusive presidential jets, spending huge sums of money on foreign trips, and promising not to embark on medical trips abroad. The quote, which has been circulating since the []The post Amid Growing Criticism, Presidency Says Buhari Never Promised to Shirk Foreign Medical Trips appeared first on THISDAYLIVE. 
Thu, 10 May 2018
PDP calls for sanctions against Idris Police boss accuses lawmakers of blackmail, says he has no apology Damilola Oyedele and Onyebuchi Ezigbo in Abuja The standoff between the Senate and the Inspector General of Police (IG), Mr. Ibrahim Idris, took a turn for the worse Wednesday when the upper legislative chamber declared him ‘an enemy []The post Senate Declares IG Enemy of Democracy, Unfit for Public Office appeared first on THISDAYLIVE. 

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});

Thu, 10 May 2018
Wole Ayodele in Jalingo Police authorities in Taraba State have confirmed the killing of nine persons by suspected herdsmen at Tutuwa village in Ussa Local Government Area of the state. Three persons also sustained serious injuries in the attack which occurred in the early hours of yesterday when residents of the community were going for []The post Again, Herdsmen Kill 9 in Fresh Attack in Taraba appeared first on THISDAYLIVE. 
Thu, 10 May 2018
Damilola Oyedele with agency reports The police have said the April 18 invasion of the Senate and theft of the mace by hoodlums was made possible by internal conspiracy between some security agencies and some lawmakers. The Divisional Police Officer in the National Assembly, Mr. Sulu-Gambari Abdul, said this wednesday in his submission before the []The post Police Blame Senate Invasion, Mace Theft on Internal Conspiracy appeared first on THISDAYLIVE. 
Thu, 10 May 2018
Onyebuchi Ezigbo in Abuja Leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in the South-west zone have expressed support for the decision of the party’s national leadership to conduct a fresh governorship primary election in Ekiti State. In a communique issued at the end of their meeting wednesday, the leaders said they had decided ‘that given []The post S’West APC Backs NWC on Friday’s Primary for Ekiti appeared first on THISDAYLIVE. 
Thu, 10 May 2018
Onyebuchi Ezigbo in Abuja The National Working Committee (NWC) of Accord Party (AP) has said it will neither support President Muhammadu Buhari nor any other party’s candidate in the 2019. The party wednesday commenced what it described as a strategic meeting geared towards ensuring that the party produces the next president of the country, even []The post We Won’t Support Buhari for Presidency, Says Accord Party appeared first on THISDAYLIVE. 

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});