Boko Haram: Army speaks on ‘attacks’ in Borno communities

Read All Newspapers in one Place - Download our App for free. DOWNLOAD

The Nigerian Army on Thursday said there was no attack on Gubio and Magumeri communities in Borno State by the Boko Haram insurgents.

BUY OR SELL OLD AND NEW CARS, PARTS, CAR MATERIALS AS CAR MART NG LAUNCH IN NIGERIA

A statement by the Deputy Director Army Public Relations, 7 Division, Colonel Ado Isa, said the insinuations of an attack in the two Borno communities were false.

He said the troop of the Operation, Lafiya Dole was able to repel terrorists who had planned to invade the communities to loot shops for food items.

The statement read, “The attention of the Nigerian Army in the Theatre of Operation Lafiya Dole has been drawn to reports on various media platforms indicating an attack on Gubio and Magumeri communities in Borno State at about 1735hrs of Wednesday the 21st of August, 2019.

Read All Newspapers in one Place - Download our App for free. DOWNLOAD

“To avoid further misinformation that could create unnecessary tension, the Theatre Command wishes to state that the attack was targeted at Nigerian Army troops deployed in the areas to enable the terrorists to gain access shops in the market in the towns to loot food items and other logistics. The attack was however repelled by the troops.

“Consequently, due to the fierce exchange of fire, the terrorists were forced to withdraw in disarray from the town resulting in damages on buildings and property along their route of withdrawal.

“There were no casualty on the security force (troops) and no loss or damage to own equipment as wrongly insinuated on social media. However, a vigilante sadly lost his life in a crossfire. Also, some civilians in the area reportedly sustained various degrees of injuries.”

Isa said normalcy had been restored in the communities with residents going about their lawful businesses.